Kara had already spent a week in Kansas thinning through all the stuff she had in storage there and managed to turn a storage unit full of things, into a honda packed to the brim! We met once again in St. George, Utah.
To bed way past midnight, up at 4:00 am, we hit the road hoping to miss the early morning Vegas traffic. The trailer was so full, I did not drive over 60. Exhausted from the get go from days of packing my trailer, and Kara sorting through things, garage saleing what she could, and car packing and repacking, let alone the drive to and from LA to Kansas and back again, we were once again pushing our limit and running on caffeine. Leaving St. George at 4:00 am was the right thing, however, as the traffic through Vegas and then again through L.A. was a breeze! We arrived at her new home in the early afternoon with hours of unloading still ahead. One does NOT leave an open trailer packed full of goodies on the streets, unattended at night. Not if one still WANTS the stuff! Lady Luck smiled upon us and blessed us with a parking space large enough for the Yukon AND trailer, right out front of Kara's apartment building.

Kara and Gracie are in this picture, can you see them?
Kara and I celebrated our Birthdays together. We had both signed up on several different restaurant web sites and had a plethora of "free" birthday dinner coupons! We feasted! And we needed to. Our goal was to have Kara's apartment as put together as possible before I left on Saturday as Kara was starting her new job that very next Monday. We spent our Birthday dinners at Benny-Hana's. Delightful and so good and free! Kara surprised me with Birthday decorations in all the chaos!

Of course there was time for geocaching. We would set unpacking goals and time limits and reward ourselves with a geo hunt. One such hunt landed me with a $63.00 parking ticket. After inappropriate language and an attitude adjustment, I informed Kara that the only way I could take the sting out of that ticket was to divide the $63.00 by the number of geo's we found. I do believe that ultimately each "find" cost me only $4.00!! When Kara went on to log our finds, another brave seeker had also incurred the wrath of the $63.00 ticket ogre!
We also managed to find time to flea market and find Kara a beautiful dining room table. A beautiful bed frame for a very good price on Craig's list, and numerous trips to the "Bucks" for caffeine refueling.
Do we look totally exhausted?Ultimately, when Saturday arrived it was Gracie and I that returned to Pocatello. Grandpa had informed us that Jackie was very depressed without her big sister but we both knew it was really Grandpa that was missing his GG Steiner!
I remember telling Daniel once that "when I win the lottery" ....he and Kara could quit their jobs and just travel the world with Ron and I! Daniel's response was "But I have to do what I was meant to do in this life, Mom".....and so I waved good bye to my daughter as I drove out of LA, leaving her to do what she was meant to do in her life,
and pointed the car in the direction of what I was meant to do with mine

No comments:
Post a Comment